Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Today's Inspiration: Last Night (2010)

Last Night - Keira KnightleyKeira Knightley as Joanna Reed. 
| Still from Last Night (2010) | Image via Alternative Film Guide |

I'm just in the process of editing the pictures from Linnéa's and Stefan's home so in the meantime I came to think of that I wanted to do a post about a film I saw just before Christmas titled "Last Night" from 2010, directed by Massy Tadjedin.  

Keira Knightley stars as the leading role and portrays a freelance fashion writer named Joanna Reed who lives together with her husband Michael (Sam Worthington) in an apartment in New York. The essential part of the story evolves around Joanna and her old love Alex, (Guillaume Canet), whom she runs into outside her local coffee shop during the second day of the film. Joanna and Alex haven't seen each other in several years, so they decide to meet in the evening to catch up and most of the story takes place then.

There was something particular about this movie's aesthetics that caught my senses. I still think about it to this day. Everything was very inspiring - the setting, the interiors, locations of NYC where it took place (mostly SoHo, Manhattan), Joanna's wardrobe and the beautiful piano soundtrack - composed by Clint Mansell.

Last Night - Keira Knightley
| Interior of NYC apartment | Image via Coffee Stained Cashmere |

Joanna and Michael lives in a beautiful industrial like apartment with wide open spaces and great big windows. It consists of many details in beige, white, black, brown, grey and nature materials like hardwood floors, wooden interiors, white painted brick walls, leather armchairs, steel light pendants and glass bottles. The apartment feels minimalistic and urban but at the same time very cosy and personal - filled with different things and many many books and magazines everywhere. I especially loved the open kitchen with the kitchen island itself and all the utensils, glassware and porcelain.

Last Night - Keira Knightley
| Images via Fanpop and Zimbio |

Knightley's character's style included a wardrobe that consisted of cosy leisurewear and a beautiful dark blue evening dress with high heels and an amazingly elegant camel coloured coat.

Last Night - Keira Knightley
| Image via Ace Showbiz |

Joanna's life as a freelance writer was portrayed so beautifully - she surrounded herself with post-its everywhere, browsed through books for inspiration and worked in cosy leisurewear. In one scene Joanna sits and writes by the computer on her desk in front of a window. That scene later inspired me to rearrange the furnitures in my own apartment and also place my work desk by the window, in order to get as much daylight as possible. 

Keira Knightley - Last Night
Last Night - Keira Knightley
Joanna (Keira Knightley) and Alex (Guillaume Canet) 
| Still from Last Night (2010) | Images via Filmstage and Indiewire |
 
If you happen to stumble across this movie I really recommend it. For the wonderful mood, settings, wardrobe, music and the beautiful love/friendship story between Joanna and Alex. It made me wanna walk the streets of Soho in the early mornings with a take away coffee.

I've been listening to the soundtrack from the film since Christmas. The sound of the music is melancholy yet hopeful at same time and it's been very suitable for these winter days and I'm sure it will set the right mood for upcoming spring evenings as well.

3 comments :

  1. Oh wow, the stills look so gorgeous! I must admit, I'm not a big fan of Keira Knightley but she looks radiant here. I will definitely check out this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, don't they! :) I also think Keira looks radiant here - I love her character in the movie so much! You should definitely check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. love love love! love her , love her dress, and the interiors of the house are breahtaking! I just googled it after I saw the film, and I found your blog! Claudia.

    ReplyDelete